Thursday, May 12, 2016

Gone - Michael Grant - 3 stars

I had intended on reading this book last summer, but never got to it, so it was time to get it read. I don't really care much for dystopian books, but this one was ok since it had some different elements to the story. The synopsis of the story was very intriguing to me, it sounded quite different from other dystopian books.
Synopsis
In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears. Gone. Except for the young.

There are teens, but not one single adult. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day. It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...

I really did enjoy the plot of this story, it was somewhat different from other dystopian because of certain elements that were added into the mix, but it still is a dystopian, so you will still read those same tropes as normal. I did really enjoy the quick pace that it took on and I also enjoyed a lot of the action. I found that the writing style was very fluid and easy to follow. On the down side I found that the book could have been shortened by at least 100 pages. There were also parts of the story that really did not have to be included in the overall plot, and there were some parts that were a little hard to swallow as far as believability was concerned. I am curious as to where the story will go, because I did enjoy the way the story ended.

The characters were developed a little too well if that is even possible. They were just wrote way older than what they really were. I felt as though I was reading about adults in this story. I can understand that it could be because of circumstances making them have to grow up, but it just was not all that believable. With that being said, I did like the characters and the choices they make. Also I think the author did the bad guys well too, maybe a little over the top for kids though.

I do recommend this book to anyone who likes dystopian and do not mind all those normal tropes and character flaws often found in this genre. I will continue with this series because I would like to see how things turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment