Sunday, September 14, 2014

Born to Die - Lisa Jackson - 5 Stars

I was anxious to get to this installment of Lisa Jackson's 'to die' series. I knew that I was going to really enjoy this book, because the author has a great talent for imagery and character developement. Again the prologue drew me into the story easily. Such great imagery, great plot and well developed characters.

In this installment Alvarez and Pescoli have to chase down another serial killer. This time the killer is targeting women who seem to resemble one another. We meet two new characters as well Dr. Acacia Lambert and Trace O'Halleran who dangerously gets involved with the case.

Even though this installment did not take over from the last mystery it was still amazing. I just absolutely love the imagery that the author gives her readers. Always so vivid and well constructed. So much so that it allows me to get totally immersed in the story. I am always able to visualize the scene so perfectly. The premise to this story was well executed and very engaging. It has great action the keeps the story exciting. One of the things I like the best is that the mystery builds slowly, it's not just *BAM*, and then it's over. The author has a great talent for leading her readers along making them really get into the story and try to figure things out. I also found myself on the edge of my seat literally. I was sad to see the story end yet excited to start the next one in the series.

The characters are developed beautifully. I love the detectives, Alvarez and Pescoli because they are quite opposite from one another, yet they work so well together. Alvarez is more subdued and quiet where Pescoli is more edgy and in your face. They both have flaws that make them so realistic and believable that they are easy to relate to. Our side characters, Lacey and Trace are beautifully written into the story and are so relatable in many ways.

I recommend not only this series, but just about anything by Lisa Jackson, to all mystery lovers out there. This is an author that needs to be read and if you love mystery as I do, you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment