Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Mr. Mercedes - Stephen King - 4 stars

I read this book as a buddy read with some friends. I am really glad that I got to it this month. I found it pretty enjoyable for the most part. The beginning was started a little slow, a lot of build up to the story, but it soon picked up and became a really good mystery.

In this story you have this man, Brady Hartsfield, who takes a Mercedes without a warning and drives into and over a group of unemployed people who are waiting at a job fair to get jobs. There are eight people killed and many others who are injured. Ex-cop Bill Hodges is contacted by Mr. Mercedes a year later only to learn that this madman may just try to strike again.

I really liked the plot of this story and how it was constructed, and I think Stephen King wrote it very well for it being a mystery. It is not by any means his best novel, but it was really engrossing and pulled me in quite quickly. I found that it did take a bit to pick up, but once it did it had my full attention. It was very fluid and easy to read.

Again I feel like the characters were the best part of this story and we all know that King does very well with Character development, this novel was no different in that area. I liked Hodges the most I think. He is a washed up ex-cop who is now past his glory days. He put in 40 years with the department, but he has allowed life afterwards to get the best of him. Now he has this one last time to do something good and maybe make is life worthwhile. I loved how he was created and who he was. There were some other very interesting and likeable characters as well, like Janey, Jerome and Holly. All of them so well created and realistic.

I recommend this to anyone who loves Stephen King and his ability to spin a great tale, and also to those who like crime novels, Mystery, or thrillers. I now look forward to the sequel to this book Finder's Keepers.

No comments:

Post a Comment