Wednesday, September 28, 2016

We Were Liars - E. Lockhart - 2.5 stars

I went to our local library in search of a book I wanted to read, but instead I came across this one of which I had already heard a lot of mixed reviews on. So I decided it was time for me to decide for myself. So I took the plunge to judge for myself.
Synopsis
A beautiful and distinguished family.
A private island.
A brilliant, damaged girl; a passionate, political boy.
A group of four friends—the Liars—whose friendship turns destructive.
A revolution. An accident. A secret.
Lies upon lies.
True love.
The truth.

We Were Liars is a modern, sophisticated suspense novel from National Book Award finalist and Printz Award honoree E. Lockhart.

Read it.
And if anyone asks you how it ends, just LIE.

So I was not really sure what exactly this book was about when I read the synopsis. I soon discovered that the synopsis really does not give a lot of input as to what the 'complete' story is. I found the beginning to be kinda of slow and boring and it took it awhile to pick up for me. I almost put it down, but thought that since it was so short, I would just stick with it. Once it did pick up I felt like I was finally learning what the story really was. The first thing I thought was 'Well this should not be called We were Liars, it should be called something like Half Truths.' It would have made more sense. I did find it somewhat surprising when the story finally all came together.

I also felt like some parts of the story really did not add up and that people should have been able to figure some things out. So the story itself does not feel realistic due to that, it made it feel like it was incomplete to a point, the ending not really dramatic enough. It also made the characters in the story appear to be really ignorant and I felt like that took away from the story as well.

The characters were just ok. I, myself, did not really relate to any of them and I did not feel like I really knew who they were, but that could be due to the circumstances of the story itself, which will be understandable to those who have read it. I would have liked to have had a bit more backstory on each of them to make them feel a bit more realistic.

This is a quick read, therefore it is worth the time and effort to finish it, but it was also somewhat disappointing for me. I feel like this could have been so much more than what it was. I am giving this a rating of 2.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment