Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Goosebumps: The Haunted Mask - R.L. Stine - 3 stars

I read this book for a Goosebumps read along that a friend on booktube was hosting. I could not get ahold of the other 2 books, but was happy to find this one. This is #4 of The Classic Goosebumps. This is a first time read for me of this author and this is a middle grade book/series.
Synopsis
Something scary is happening in GOOSEBUMPS HORRORLAND, the all-new, all-terrifying series by R. L. Stine. Just how scary? You'll never know unless you crack open this classic prequel!
Carly Beth thinks she's found the best Halloween mask ever. With yellow-green skin and long animal fangs, the mask terrifies the entire neighborhood. Before long, it has a surprising effect on Carly Beth, too. She tries to take it off . . . but it won't budge!
Halloween is almost over, but fright night is just beginning.
Now with all-new bonus materials!

I think this would be a pretty scary read for most Middle Graders. It has really good flow to it, lots of adventure, and also it has great pacing. I did however find it to be somewhat predictable, but then again I am an adult. Most middle graders would probably not find it to be so predictable. It was a very quick read with quite the cliffhanger at the end which is one of the parts that I found to be somewhat predictable.

The characters are fun in this story, and since this is a series I would think that they are developing more with each book that comes in the series. I think young readers will be able to connect with these characters pretty easily. You have your smart young lady, an awkward young girl and two boys who of course are tough guys. Each of them fit perfectly in the story.

After reading this story I feel like I would like to explore R.L. Stine a little more with some different series that he has wrote. I recommend this to anyone really. Even if you don't read middle grade, this is a cute Halloween story to share with your kids. Happy Spook Season!

No comments:

Post a Comment