Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Missing You - Harlan Coben - 3.5 stars

I have been trying to catch up on my A-Z challenge for the year and chose this one for M. I love Harlan Coben's writing a lot so this was a real treat for me since it has been awhile for me reading one of his books.
Synopsis
It's a profile, like all the others on the online dating site. But as NYPD Detective Kat Donovan focuses on the accompanying picture, she feels her whole world explode, as emotions she’s ignored for decades come crashing down on her. Staring back at her is her ex-fiancĂ© Jeff, the man who shattered her heart—and who she hasn’t seen in 18 years.

Kat feels a spark, wondering if this might be the moment when past tragedies recede and a new world opens up to her. But when she reaches out to the man in the profile, her reawakened hope quickly darkens into suspicion and then terror as an unspeakable conspiracy comes to light, in which monsters prey upon the most vulnerable.

As the body count mounts and Kat's hope for a second chance with Jeff grows more and more elusive, she is consumed by an investigation that challenges her feelings about everyone she ever loved—her former fiancĂ©, her mother, and even her father, whose cruel murder so long ago has never been fully explained. With lives on the line, including her own, Kat must venture deeper into the darkness than she ever has before, and discover if she has the strength to survive what she finds there.

I really liked the plot to this story with the online dating spin. I found it to be very fluid and easy to follow but would have liked it to be a bit faster paced. I also thought there was a lot of good mystery to the story. There are 3 separate stories running in this one, but I found it to be easy to follow all of them. On the down side I found it to be a bit predictable, but not over the top. A couple of twists to enjoy in this one as well.

I think the characters were well developed and pretty realistic. I could really relate to Kat. I thought she was a strong female protagonist and I like how she does not just lay down in the face of fear. She does not let anyone get the better of her. At times though, it seemed like things were a bit too easy for her, not many challenges and that kind of makes the story lack that certain excitement when our protagonists have to fight for every inch.

I do recommend this book to any one who is a Coben fan. It is definitely worth the read. I just would have liked it to be a bit faster paced and a little more adrenalin pumping action, but other than that it was a great story. I am giving this book a 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment