Wednesday, April 26, 2017

The Hostile Hospital - Lemony Snicket - 4 stars

This is book #8 in The Series of Unfortunate Events. It was a great read to keep me from getting into a reading slump after a very trying book.

The Orphans Get themselves mixed up in some more pretty shady business with Count Olaf and his thugs in eager pursuit in this installment. One of things I like the most about these stories is how engaging they are, despite the fact that they are somewhat annoying because of all these unfortunate events. I also enjoy the resourcefulness of the Orphans even though that resourcefulness is pretty improbable and unrealistic. The stories have a great flow about them, so they move along at a very fast pace. This one has a lot of action and adventure going on and I love it! It is true that there is a lot of annoying misfortune in this series, but there is something good that usually happens in the mix. It just depends on how you look at things.

The Orphans are so likeable that readers can't help but root for them. I know that there has been a lot of times I wished that I could be there to help them out myself. It does get annoying when they have to deal with so many unfortunate events, one right after the other, but really that is what the story is about. I think my favorite character is probably Violet, who is the inventor of the three. Even though the inventions are a little out there I still like the thought that is behind them. As far as antagonists go, there is plenty of them to hate. Of course Count Olaf would be the top of the list for me.

I recommend this series to those who don't mind dark, sad and unfortunate stories with children involved. If that sort of thing bothers you then you would probably be better off avoiding this series. (I am starting to sound like Lemony Snicket.) If that sort of story does not bother you, then give this series a shot, you might just enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment