Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Throne of Glass - Sarah J. Maas - 5 stars

Wow, all I can say is that this was a great read. So glad that I finally picked it up. Readers will enter a world that is both fascinating and spellbinding. I could not believe how engaging the story was for me since I really don't do well with fantasy most of the time, especially adult fantasy, but since I can usually do ok with YA Fantasy I thought I would give this one a shot, years after all that hype. I am so glad that I did.

The plot of the story is what first got my attention. It has that hunger game feel to it, yet so different from that. I could imagine the center ring where duels are performed, or the arena where they would test their abilities. I also love that our main character, the assassin, is a very strong female character. Also I love the setting of this story, the way the author writes it and describes it makes me believe that these places actually do exist, like I could leave tomorrow and go there for a visit. I also loved the supernatural feel to the story as well.

The characters, are probably the best part of the story, for me anyway. Celaena is such a great character. She has a very strong side, yet she knows when to be soft. She fights for those things she believes in. I wish that she could have played her part to her full potential throughout the story, but I understand why the author wrote it the way she did. I am sure in future books she will be able to be more of the badass that she is. If I were to choose between the Crown Prince, Dorian and the Captain of the Guard, Chaol, then I would definitely pick Chaol. I feel like he is more trustworthy, he saw the seriousness in things that were happening and choices being made. It seemed like a lot of stuff was a big joke to Dorian at times. He fought for a lot of things, but when it came to his father, well Father knows best I guess. Both are great characters, but really, when it comes to someone watching your back, that would Chaol for me.

I look forward to the rest of the series, and how these characters progress through the story. I would recommend this book/series to anyone who has a love for fantasy. Even if you are like me and struggle with it, then this would be a book for you to start with.

No comments:

Post a Comment