Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Lone Wolf - Jodi Picoult - 4 stars

I read this book as a buddy read with a friend. I had been wanting to read more Jodi Picoult books and I think now, that this was a good choice after first reading Between the Lines, also by Picoult. I am so glad I read this book it was a profound, engaging and thoroughly enjoyable read.

In this book we many characters perspectives. Our main character Cara is in a car accident with her Father, Luke and she harbors some secrets as to what really happened that fateful night. It all snowballs and causes hard decisions to be have to be made and her brother Edward also harbors his own secrets that caused other hurtful decisions to be made leaving a family torn apart as a result.

I thought this book started out rather slow but still held enough interest for me to keep reading. Then finally it picked up and I enjoyed it immensely. I really liked the mystery that surrounds this story and the premise of the story was not something I had read before which is why it kept me intrigued. I love the imagery in this book, especially when Luke's perspective was being told. There are many perspectives in this book, but it did not become confusing because the author named the chapter to whose perspective it was. However, it did annoy me a little when the font changed for each perspective. I think we could have done without that.

The characters were very real to me, except maybe Luke. I could not imagine anyone making the choices that Luke made and I have to disagree with those choices and the sacrifices that arose because of those choices. Cara, the main character, to me, was just annoying. I wanted to slap her throughout the entire book. I really did not find any redeeming quality about her to make me like her, but she was a rebelling teenager and I think the author wrote her as such for a reason, maybe a learning experience if anything. Edward, Cara's brother, was my favorite character of the bunch. I liked his realism and his thought process, he brought a lot to the story and kept things balanced.

I do recommend this book to anyone who likes Picoult's style of writing which is more realism than fantasy. Because of the few issues I had, and the slower start I could not give this a 5 star rating, but it certainly does deserve 4 stars.

"This is what I like about photographs. They're proof that once, even if just for a heartbeat, everything was perfect."

No comments:

Post a Comment