Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Quenched - Mary Ann Mitchell - 1 star

I chose this book for my A-Z challenge and discovered that it was a sequel to the first book of the Marquis de Sade series. I did not feel like it read like sequel and I will not be reading any of the other books in this series.

Synopsis

An evil stalks the clubs and seedy hotels of San Francisco's shadowy underworld. It preys on the unfortunate, the outcasts, the misfits. It is an evil born of the eternal bloodlust of one of the undead, the infamous nobleman known to the ages as...the Marquis de Sade. He and his unholy offspring feed upon those who wont be missed, giving full vent to their dark desires and a thirst for blood that can never be sated. Yet while the Marquis amuses himself with the lives of his victims, with their pain and their torture, other vampires to their new lives of eternal night. And as the Marquis will soon learn, hatred and vengeance can be eternal as well undead can barely imagine.

I had expected this book to be a horror of some form and I really did not find that at all with this story. I found it to have some dark humor with a pretty unrealistic plot line. I have to admit though, some parts did make m laugh. It did however take the glamour out of Vampire stories. I try to figure out though which is the lesser of the two evils, a poorly written vampire story or one that glamorizes vampires but had an actual plot. It definitely did not make me fear vampires in the least. I feel that it had a small feel of the Anita Blake series when it came to sexual escapades. Not enough to it to really make it exciting or enjoyable. I felt that it lacked depth and this story could have been so much more. Maybe had I read the first book it would have amounted to more for me. The ending of this book was not a cliffhanger at all it just left me feeling somewhat frustrated because the story just felt unfinished and incomplete. It was like the Author decided to just stop writing.

I did not like any of the characters in this story at all, and since this is a second book I feel like they should have been much better developed than they were. I really did not find any of them to be believable, leaving them feeling very unrealistic and unrelatable. There was a mix of immortals and mortals both and at times I found it hard to decipher which was which and it also felt like the author just randomly threw in new characters and that led to some confusion trying to keep everyone straight.

I honestly can't recommend this book to anyone. I really don't think anyone I know would enjoy it. I will not be reading any of the other books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment