Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Career of Evil - Robert Galbraith - 3.5 stars

So we have book #3 in the Cormoran Strike series. I told myself that I was not going to read this one while I was in the middle of the second one. Well as you can see I picked it up and I read it. I feel like the author gives it just enough to keep me interested in the series. We all know that Robert Galbraith is the pseudonym for J. K. Rowling, and we all know that Rowling can write. I am just not sue that mystery is the write genre for her.

The plot of this book was another reason why I decided to go ahead and read it. The synopsis let me know that Robin was more involved in this one and I loved that concept. This one was probably the best one of the 3 so far. With me being a pretty big mystery buff it empowers me to be a bit more critical of any mystery book that I choose to read. I just feel like this series lacks the excitement that I enjoy most in this genre. I also find that there is quite a bit of unnecessary parts to the story. This could be because it is 'new writing' for the author. I have to say that reading this series is more like a rollercoaster ride with all of the up and down moments of drama and excitement, which seems to give it just enough to entice readers to keep reading.

The characters in this series I love. They are very well developed and likable for the most part. The antagonists have enough to leave you seething in anger at them. My favorite character has to be Strike. I think he is a very likable, strong willed protagonist who has many, many issues. He does not let those issues get in the way of doing what is right. He definitely does not let anyone walk all over him. He is the type of character that will take the bull by the horns and not let go till gets what he wants. And it could very well be the characters that keeps me reading the series.

I would still recommend this series to other mystery readers because of the characters alone. As long as they do not expect a book chock full of excitement and adventure, because it is pretty tame as far as that goes. I have to give her a chance though considering this is not a normal genre for her. Rowling's writing is completely different when she is writing for an adult so keep that in mind. I am giving this a 3.5 star rating again because I love the characters and their development throughout this series. A new book is in the works for this series and I wont say that I ma not going to read it this time, because I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment