Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Woods - Harlan Coben - 5 stars

I read this book as a buddy read and also wanted to read it for TBR Takedown, but I did not make it for that. I knew that I would enjoy this book since it is by Harlan Coben, wow it was so engaging with such a great mystery plot line. Thoroughly loved this book.Synopsis
Twenty years ago, four teenagers at summer camp walked into the woods at night. Two were found murdered, and the others were never seen again. Four families had their lives changed forever. Now, two decades later, they are about to change again. For Paul Copeland, the county prosecutor of Essex, New Jersey, mourning the loss of his sister has only recently begun to subside. Cope, as he is known, is now dealing with raising his six- year-old daughter as a single father after his wife has died of cancer. Balancing family life and a rapidly ascending career as a prosecutor distracts him from his past traumas, but only for so long. When a homicide victim is found with evidence linking him to Cope, the well-buried secrets of the prosecutor's family are threatened.

Is this homicide victim one of the campers who disappeared with his sister? Could his sister be alive? Cope has to confront so much he left behind that summer twenty years ago: his first love, Lucy; his mother, who abandoned the family; and the secrets that his Russian parents might have been hiding even from their own children. Cope must decide what is better left hidden in the dark and what truths can be brought to the light.

I absolutely loved the synopsis of this book, and the story certainly lived up to that. And the prologue starts the story off with a band. One of my favorite things about this book was all the mystery. I loved trying to figure out who did what and then getting it wrong only to try guessing again. So glad it was not an easily predictable story. There was also 2 different storylines running in the book and I also loved that. It certainly kept me on my toes from start to finish. There were also some great twists in this book that were surprising.

The characters--WOW-- I absolutely loved all of them! I loved their development, the dysfunctional families, the issues and the mysteries surrounding all of them. I loved both the good guys and bad guys. It had a great mix of both. All of them were exceptional. I actually have 2 favorite characters in this book and those would be Paul Copeland and Muse. They were both fantastic characters. I could imagine Copeland being a well established detective in an entire mystery series, even though he was a prosecuting attorney, with Muse as a sidekick. Copeland is a very strong, level headed character and still has some issues in his life which makes him somewhat flawed. Muse is that quirky yet very smart character that knows what she is doing and does not put up with stupidity or those who sport it. I would love to see a whole series made with these characters.

I would have to recommend this book to any mystery lover and especially recommend to all those Coben fans. Harlan Coben has an amazing talent and now he is an auto buy for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment