Sunday, April 24, 2016

A Field of Red - Greg Enslen - 4 stars

This is book 1 of the Frank Harper murder series. I chose this book to read as part of the Read Your E-reader read-a-thon for April. I was feeling a bit burned out on Mystery but decided to go with this one anyway and I really quite enjoyed the story.

Synopsis
Ex-cop Frank Harper doesn't want to get involved. Harper is visiting the small Ohio town of Cooper's Mill, trying to reconnect with his estranged daughter and a grandson he's never met. But he finds the town gripped in fear-two young girls have gone missing, taken in broad daylight from a busy street. And the police are coming up blank. But once Harper is drawn reluctantly into the investigation, he'll stop at nothing to find the girls. And he doesn't care who gets in the way.

The plot is what pretty much drew me into the story. I liked how fluid the story telling was. There were some slow spots, but the mystery aspect of the story pretty much made up for that. I thought the story was going to be predictable at first because things were running along the way I thought they would, and I did try and figure out 'whodunit' but never quite hit the nail on the head. It is a great book that really turns readers into sleuths.

The characters were awesome, especially Frank. There were a couple of times where I wanted to slap him because he did not make a choice that I wanted him to, but it all worked out in the end. I found him to be a little soft at times but his strengths definitely showed through in the end. He is a pretty flawed character with many issues to deal with and I love those characters the best.

I am looking forward to reading book 2 in the series because there was on loose end that was not entirely tied up and I would love to see that happen in a sequel. I would recommend this book to those who love Mystery because this is definitely worth the read and was far better than imagined it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment