Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Journal of Sin - Darryl Donaghue - 2.5 stars

I chose this book for the Read Your E-Reader read-a-thon because I found the plotline to be both very intriguing and interesting. I was wanting to read a mystery and this one seemed like the right choice, but I found this book to just be ok for me.
Synopsis
A village, isolated by a severe storm, and a young officer, alone and out of her depth. A troubled priest is brutally murdered, leaving behind a journal of the resident's confessional secrets; secrets certain people would prefer he took to the grave.

As word spreads, the pressure rises as the eyes of the town watch her every move. With no forensic team, no support and a savage killer hiding in a turbulent town, is PC Sarah Gladstone up to the task?

I was pretty excited about the plot line to this story, but I found it to be a little bland and somewhat predictable. I was pretty much able to pin the tail on the donkey every step of the way. I also found the this story lacked depth, it seemed like things were just out of sorts. There was some action in the story but not enough to make the story memorable for me. I do have to say this book was more plot based than character based.

I really did not like the main character at all. She was not developed very well and I found that she lacked strength. She is a police officer and pretty much left to her own devices since a hurricane just went through the town but she just did not make good choices. She does not ever stick up for herself and lets these townspeople just have their way with her verbally and that bothered me a lot. So I found no real connection to her at all.

There were some parts to the story that I did like, (the ending action scene in particular) so because of that I am giving this book a 2.5 star rating. I am not sure who I could actually recommend this books to. I am pretty picky when it comes to mystery stories so maybe I am just too hard on this and some mystery fans will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment