Sunday, April 10, 2016

Addicted to You - Krista Ritchie & Becca Ritchie - 4 stars

I chose this book for the Read Your E-reader challenge for the month of April. This is for the challenge of reading a book out of your comfort zone and this one definitely was, but I ended up liking it much more than I thought I would because it was much more than romance and sex. It was about addictions and they can affect others lives.Synopsis
She’s addicted to sex. He’s addicted to booze…the only way out is rock bottom.

No one would suspect shy Lily Calloway’s biggest secret. While everyone is dancing at college bars, Lily stays in the bathroom. To get laid. Her compulsion leads her to one-night stands, steamy hookups and events she shamefully regrets. The only person who knows her secret happens to have one of his own.

Loren Hale’s best friend is his bottle of bourbon. Lily comes at a close second. For three years, they’ve pretended to be in a real relationship, hiding their addictions from their families. They’ve mastered the art of concealing flasks and random guys that filter in and out of their apartment.

But as they sink beneath the weight of their addictions, they cling harder to their destructive relationship and wonder if a life together, for real, is better than a lie. Strangers and family begin to infiltrate their guarded lives, and with new challenges, they realize they may not just be addicted to alcohol and sex.

Their real vice may be each other.

I was not sure about the plot of this story at first since I am really not a romance reader, but I did discover while reading it that it was so much more than that. There was a real story here and parts of it really broke my heart. My own life has been affected by alcoholism so parts of this story strikes close to home, so it can get difficult to read some of it for those who have been touch by addictions no matter what they might be. I did find the story very fluid and engaging. It was easy to follow and is sure to pull you into the story from page 1.

I did not actually relate all that well to the characters. I hate to say it but I really did not like them all that much. I found Lily to be too whiny and then I found Loren to be pretty hateful at times, but that is pretty normal for someone who is an alcoholic so he did fit the role well. I think the one thing that bothered me the most about Lily was that it was always 'okay', no matter what Loren would do. They did grow well throughout the story and I am sure they develop so much more throughout the series. I am undecided on if I will continue the series yet or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment