Friday, August 19, 2016

Postmortem - Patricia Cornwell - 3 stars

I chose this book for my month of mystery because I have collected many of this series and decided it was time to start reading them rather than just let them sit there. I am glad I finally jumped into this series since it is a very long one.
Synopsis
Under cover of night in Richmond, Virginia, a human monster strikes, leaving a gruesome trail of stranglings that has paralyzed the city. Medical examiner Kay Scarpetta suspects the worst: a deliberate campaign by a brilliant serial killer whose signature offers precious few clues. With an unerring eye, she calls on the latest advances in forensic research to unmask the madman. But this investigation will test Kay like no other, because it's being sabotaged from within—and someone wants her dead.

Of course I loved the plot of the book since it was on a serial killer. To me that is the best plot for a mystery book. I felt like the pacing was a bit slow though for my tastes until about halfway through the book when it finally picked up and got much more exciting. I did enjoy all the mystery to be solved in this, but was a little let down by who the bad guy was, and it was not what I had expected at all. There was however enough to the story regardless of pacing for me to keep reading.

I really enjoyed the wide array of characters in this story. I like Kay Scarpetta, I like her strengths and her ability to stand on her own, but I am a little disappointed that she really does not have any weaknesses either. She is not that 'perfect' character, but she is not flawed either and I really like my characters to be a bit flawed. Other than that the characters were developed pretty well.

I recommend this to anyone who likes a good mystery with great characters. Had there been better pacing it could have easily ben a 4. I do look forward to the next book in the series and hope for it to be much faster paced.

1 comment:

  1. I love this series am on the 22nd. The plot picks up as the series goes on almost as if the author learnt more skills. The characters develop more and Kay shows her flaws. My favourite character has always been Lucy especially in later novels. So glad you enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete