Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Vanishing Girls - Lauren Oliver - 2 stars

I chose this book specifically for the A-Z challenge since it is a stand alone book. This is also a first time read for me with this author.
Synopsis
Dara and Nick used to be inseparable, but that was before the accident that left Dara's beautiful face scarred and the two sisters totally estranged. When Dara vanishes on her birthday, Nick thinks Dara is just playing around. But another girl, nine-year-old Madeline Snow, has vanished, too, and Nick becomes increasingly convinced that the two disappearances are linked. Now Nick has to find her sister, before it's too late.

I did really love the synopsis of this book and it is the reason why I wanted to read it. I did find that the build up of this story was really very slow, and it seemed that it took over half the book to really get interesting for me. There were some really good parts to the story that had me glued, but, I really felt like the story was not explained very well as I read it, so I had to go back and read some parts over in order to grasp what I originally missed. I literally had to do the whole 'scratch my head' thing. I am still kind of confused because of timelines and such. Also, I have read books like this before but did not find them anywhere near as confusing as this one. I almost feel like I should have caught on to it, but didn't.

The characters were ok in this book, but not really all that relatable to me and I think that is because of the way they were wrote. Also their perspectives switched back and forth when the times switched from before to after, which I think kind of took away from them and the story in a way. It is hard for me to explain exactly what I am trying to say.

I can't really recommend this book to anyone since it was really just ok for me. Just the whole way it was wrote was confusing when you finally hit the end of the book which really forced me to go back and reread things. I gotta say that I am glad it is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment