Thursday, November 17, 2016

You - Caroline Kepnes - 4 stars

This is the first book in the You series. I am not sure how many books will be a part of these series though. I do know that the 2nd book, Hidden Bodies came out earlier this year and I look forward to reading it. I actually chose this book to add to the A-Z challenge list and I am glad I finally got to it. This is also a first time read for me with this Author.
Synopsis
When a beautiful, aspiring writer strides into the East Village bookstore where Joe Goldberg works, he does what anyone would do: he Googles the name on her credit card.

There is only one Guinevere Beck in New York City. She has a public Facebook account and Tweets incessantly, telling Joe everything he needs to know: she is simply Beck to her friends, she went to Brown University, she lives on Bank Street, and she’ll be at a bar in Brooklyn tonight—the perfect place for a “chance” meeting.

As Joe invisibly and obsessively takes control of Beck’s life, he orchestrates a series of events to ensure Beck finds herself in his waiting arms. Moving from stalker to boyfriend, Joe transforms himself into Beck’s perfect man, all while quietly removing the obstacles that stand in their way—even if it means murder.

When I read the synopsis of this book, the plotline drew me in right away because it seemed so twisted. I mean what is better than reading a thriller that involved a book store? I did find there to be some slow spots in this book, but I feel like the uniqueness of the story kept my attention very well. I do quite enjoy the writing style of this author. As you read you never really know where the story is going to take you. It constantly made me rethink what I was thinking about what was going on. If that makes any sense. I was seriously glued to the pages due to an almost grotesque need to see what was going to happen when I turned the last page.

As for the characters, well they all seem to be real head jobs if you ask me. All of them had their own exclusive issues, and I had to wonder how they were even able to survive in this world, or perhaps maybe they they are actually the reason that the world is the way that it is. It makes you speculate which is at fault when you put yourself in their places, and believe me that is what the author is capable of doing with this story. Were they relatable? or likable? Not really, but they were kind of unusual and unique. They were the type of characters you had to know about and I think the author does a good job showing who they were. I know I did catch myself rooting for our 'bad guy' Joe, a time or two, but that was because the other characters were just as screwed up and you really can't help yourself.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes thrillers, but a thriller without a lot of action. This is mostly about mind games, and some peeps with highly unhealthy mental statuses. It is definitely worth the read and you should pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment