Sunday, August 12, 2018

One For Sorrow - Mary Downing Hahn - 2 stars

I got this book from a book fair at my grandson's school. And for a middle grade 'scary' story it was not too bad. However, I am pretty sure that it would not scare my 8 year old grandson. The writing itself was ok, and I enjoyed the plot, but the characters were a bit to be desired.

I found the 'ghost' in the story very annoying, when she was alive and dead. I am sure that is how the author intended her to be. She is one of those kids who uses being bullied to her advantage, and that part I did not really like at all. She was not your typical bullied student that's for sure. In fact it seemed to me that she too was a bully. The other character, Annie, was also a bit annoying to me. I was hoping that she would use her head a bit more, stand up for herself or just maybe just be a bit stronger than she was.

I do realize that this is a kids book, but I am not sure that it would hold the attention of those targeted with this one, especially if they are specifically wanting a ghost story. It definitely works for the younger crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment