Tuesday, March 5, 2019

These Shallow Graves - Jennifer Donnelly - 5 stars

I have had this book for awhile, and I have heard many people talk about it. And now that I have read it, I have to say hands down, my favorite read of the year so far. I don't even know how this book has not reached a 4 star rating at least. I still can't believe how well written this books was, especially for readers who love mystery! Reading this book makes me wanna gobble up everything she has ever written. I will be searching for more by this amazing writer.

It has everything, mystery, history, romance, thriller. I really can't ask for more. I thought the first few chapters were a bit slow to start, but past that, it became a page turner. Imagine a girl born into a family in the 1800's who wants more than anything, to be a writer, she already has everything she could possibly need, and never really a want for anything more, well than maybe her own freedom. And then to top everything off you find out that your entire life and family is based on nothing but a lie, and the more you dig the further you're pulled into it's darkness.

There are some great twists in this tale, and some I never even saw coming. Many clues I had missed that were brought to my attention later in the story, and I would have to ask myself, "How did I miss that?" At the end of this book, I could even see a sequel come to play even though this book it said to be a stand alone. I think this author has so much talent that she could write a sequel to this story easily. Such a great flowing book! I was sorry to see it end.

AND Wow the characters in this book are amazing and so well developed! Some are flawed, others are so bright and colorful. They are so very interesting, and even more interesting as you move through the story. I can't even pick a favorite among them all. There are also some great villains to contend with. The downright dirty characters that you would rather see dead then alive. All of them so brilliantly brought to life in this story. Well Done Ms. Donnelly!

No comments:

Post a Comment