Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Cuts - Richard Laymon - 3 stars

I decided to read this book as a buddy read with a friend. And I gotta say it is another story wrote in pure Laymon style. Again, very fluid and easy to read, definitely a one sitting book with a lot happening.

In this story we have Albert, a 17 year old deranged serial killer, who is on a cutting/killing rampage as he travels across country from Chicago to California, taking as many victims as he can. Cutting people in general seems to be his favorite pastime.

This is wrote in true Laymon style once again. He definitely spares nothing with this one. A very action packed, dark, and gruesome plotline with murder, rape, torture and much more. At times it did it was pretty unrealistic, and I am not talking about our psychopath, he was very realistic, but that is also pretty true to Laymon's writing style. It did flow very well and was a quick read. I would have liked to know a bit more about Albert growing up. You get the hint that he had witnessed something pretty gruesome as a child.

The only issue I had with this story was that there seemed to be a lot of characters to keep track of in the beginning. It did get a little confusing trying to keep everyone straight. I have to say though that they were all pretty colorful with some pretty warped thoughts. I think it would impossible to be bored with any of them. They definitely keep the readers on their toes. I did not expect the ending of this book at all, but it was certainly satisfying.

Again I recommend this book to anyone who likes Richard Laymon, or anyone who likes dark horror/thrillers. This is not a favorite book by any means, but it was definitely entertaining and gasp worthy in many places.

No comments:

Post a Comment