Saturday, July 25, 2015

Outlander - Diana Gabaldon - 5 stars

I read this book for a read along of the series and also used this book for the TBRTakedown 2.0. I have had this book for awhile as I do struggle with historical, but I am so glad I finally picked it up and was able to enjoy the many elements this book brings.

In this book we have Claire who is a former combat nurse. She reunites with her husband Frank by way of a second honeymoon they take in Scotland. She ends up walking through an ancient circle and finds herself transported back to the 1700's. She is faced with many things she did not think she would ever have witnessed in her lifetime.

Wow the plot of this story is amazing, and I was not sure what I would think of it since I do not do all that well with Historical or romance of which this book is based on. I have been pleasantly surprised by the writing style which is very fluid and very easy to read. I love that it flows so well and does not make me feel like it is slow and boring. There is plenty of action and excitement both in this story that keeps readers glued to the pages. It really makes me think about being in the 1700's and how difficult a time that would have been for women especially, but also the way criminals were handled for the smallest of things. I am pretty sure I could not go back to that time and survive.

What can I say about these characters, wow. They are developed so very well that it feels as though they are right here with me as I read. I love Claire and Jamie so much, definitely my favorites so far. I love how Claire can bring thoughts and ideas to Jamie and vice versa and how they learn and appreciate so much from one another. However, there were several times when I just did not even want to acknowledge Jamie and his ideas because they actually irritated and annoyed me. Which is why I said I found the 1700's to be difficult especially for women. When I read these parts of the book, I had to keep reminding myself of the time period. Either way, every one of the characters were beautifully written in this first installment and I can only see how they would get better and better with each book.

I recommend this book to everyone. Even if you struggle with historical or romance as I do, I would suggest giving this book/series a try, because it is so much more than just that. I don't think you will be sorry. I look forward to the rest of this series as well and I look forward to Jamie and Claire's continued journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment