Sunday, July 26, 2015

Deadline - Chris Crutcher - 3 stars

I decided to read this book for the TBRTakedown 2.0 read-a-thon for the challenge of 'Choose a book that has been on your shelves for over a year. Well try 3 years. I figured this would be a good one to choose for the challenge.

In this story you have 18 year old Ben wolf who finds out he has a year to live. He makes the decision to not have treatments just to get a little more time. He would rather live a great life for a year than to be sick from chemo treatments. The worst part of it, he does not tell anyone and bares this burden alone until he figures out he needs to learn to trust in people.

I really enjoyed the plotline of this book. For the most part it was an easy read and it kind of read like a memoir and that is ok, but I found that it was rather slow in some parts and did not pick up till the last 100 pages or so. So it did drag a bit for me, but when it did pick up it became very thought provoking. Like what would you do if you were told that you had a year to live? What would you do, or where would you go? Would you strive to help people, live on the edge, or not change anything at all?

The characters were ok. I did not find them to be particularly relatable but some of them were pretty likable. I did like the main character, Ben quite a lot and what he stood for. He made a lot of great points in the story and really was the thinker. There really was not any 'bad guys' in the story and I think that made the story a little less interesting. I like to have a mix between the two. Overall it was pretty good, but more towards the end of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment