Monday, December 7, 2015

Just One Look - Harlan Coben - 4 stars

I decided on this book so I could use it for my A-Z challenge since I love Harlan Coben and I have not yet been disappointed by anything that he wrote. I really enjoyed this book just as much as other ones. I love the writing style and all the mystery. He is just a pleasure to read.

Synopsis
An ordinary snapshot causes a mother’s world to unravel in an instant. After picking up her two young children from school, Grace Lawson looks through a newly developed set of photographs. She finds an odd one in the pack: a mysterious picture from perhaps twenty years ago, showing four strangers she can’t identify. But there is one face she recognizes—that of her husband, from before she knew him. When her husband sees the photo that night, he leaves their home and drives off without explanation. She doesn’t know where he’s going, or why he’s leaving. Or if he’s ever coming back. Nor does she realize how dangerous the search for him will be. Because there are others interested in both her husband’s past and that photo, including Eric Wu: a fierce, silent killer who will not be stopped from finding his quarry, no matter who or what stands in his way. Her world turned upside down, filled with doubts about her herself and marriage, Grace must confront the dark corners of her own tragic past she struggles to learn the truth, find her husband, and save her family.

I loved the plotline of this story. I found it to be very interesting and the more I read, the more intriguing it got. This one did seem a bit more complex than other Coben books with all the characters to remember and the separate plotlines as well, but it still flowed pretty well. I only really had one complaint and that is that it seemed just a little unfinished when I reached the end because it ended on questions, questions I had no answers to. Other than that, I loved the story. Lots of great twists in this one too and I loved that.

I found a lot of the characters to be very intriguing. They were each developed very well. I also liked how some of them were rather mysterious and remained that way throughout the entire story. They were both relatable and realistic. Grace was probably my favorite character, and she one of the smarter ones. She used her head before making choices. I was on the fence about Carl Vespa who plays a large role in this story and I am still not too sure what to think about him.

Overall this was a great story by a very gifted author. I would recommend this one to anyone who likes mystery or anyone who enjoys Coben's writing style. This one is a real treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment