Friday, December 25, 2015

The Invention of Hugo Cabret - Brian Selznick - 5 stars

Wow another great piece of story telling buy Selznick. I actually just picked this book up for our local UBS and could not wait to read it. Brian Selznick is an auto buy and auto read for me. His stories, that are told in both illustrations and words, never cease to amaze me. They wrap me up and sweep me away every time I read one of them. His words and illustrations are always so engaging and exciting.

Synopsis
Orphan, clock keeper, and thief, Hugo lives in the walls of a busy Paris train station, where his survival depends on secrets and anonymity. But when his world suddenly interlocks with an eccentric, bookish girl and a bitter old man who runs a toy booth in the station, Hugo's undercover life, and his most precious secret, are put in jeopardy. A cryptic drawing, a treasured notebook, a stolen key, a mechanical man, and a hidden message from Hugo's dead father form the backbone of this intricate, tender, and spellbinding mystery.

The plot of the story of course is heartwarming, adventurous, exciting and even a bit mysterious. I can not think of anything else that could have been added to the story. I can guarantee it will sweep you away and you will be so completely enthralled with Hugo's world and lifestyle that you will never want to leave the beauty and excitement you find there. The illustrations are all done buy the author and they are such wonderful pencil sketches. The writing itself is so fluid and easy to follow while the illustrations also tell this beautiful story as well. Such a great experience every time I turn the pages.

The characters are fantastic and developed so well. They all have such great individual personality and when you meet them, you will feel as though you know them in real life. The illustrations make them all come to life so well. Hugo is now one of my all time favorite characters after reading this book. He just shines through and makes such a wonderful impression on those who get the pleasure of reading this book.

I recommend this book to EVERYONE! I feel like everyone should experience the world of Brian Selznick because if you don't you are really missing out on a true treasure. His works can affect everyone, every age. So if you have not read anything by Selznick please do.

No comments:

Post a Comment