Sunday, March 6, 2016

And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie - 3 stars

I decided to read this book for March Mystery Madness, a month of reading Mysteries. This was for the challenge of reading an Agatha Christie novel. I know that this was one of my mom's favorite books. I could not remember if I had read it all those years ago, so I decided now would be an opportune time to read it.
Synopsis
First, there were ten - a curious assortment of strangers summoned as weekend guests to a private island off the coast of Devon. Their host, an eccentric millionaire unknown to all of them, is nowhere to be found. All that the guests have in common is a wicked past they're unwilling to reveal - and a secret that will seal their fate. For each has been marked for murder. One by one they fall prey. Before the weekend is out, there will be none. And only the dead are above suspicion.

This had a great plot incorporating a nursery rhyme into the story which was what really determined my reading it for this challenge. I found that the mystery itself was fantastic. Hard to figure out 'whodunit'. But what I also discovered was that it lacked the excitement factor. Not a whole lot really going except for finding the people dead. Not much action really leading up to each individual death which made it lack that excitement I was looking for. Other than that part of the story it was put together well.

The characters were a little dry for me, and they were not very relatable. I found that they lacked depth. It was fun though reading those small little details, that came to light about each of them that made you think, oh maybe they could be a murderer or are they really guilty of what was said that they each did in the past. One by one you discover your thoughts about them were wrong and the mystery continues till the very end of the story.

Who did this heinous crime? Eventually you will find out. I did not really care all that much for how the story was wrapped up. I think it could have been done better, Over all it was a fun and entertaining read. I recommend this to those who like old fashioned type mysteries. A quick fluid read that is sure to entertain most readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment