Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Death in Paradise - Robert B. Parker - 3.5 stars

This is book #3 in the Jesse stone series. I had not planned on reading this book at all for this month but I wanted a nice quick read to finish off my month and this was the perfect choice. This one was much better than the first 2 were, still a little subdued but more was going on than in the other ones. I was glad to see that.
Synopsis
Robert B. Parker is back in Paradise, where Detective Jesse Stone is looking for two things: the killer of a teenage girl—and someone, anyone, who is willing to claim the body…

The plot of this story covers a rather tough subject of pedophilia wrapped up in prostitution, fortunately though it does not get over the top in depth on the subject. Even though the story still lacks a lot of the excitement that I enjoy I still found it to be pretty entertaining. The story itself is pretty gritty and I think the build up to the mystery was good from the start and it gets readers to start questioning things, which is always good. I wished that it would have had more twists to the story, but I am hopeful that each book in this series will get better and better as I read them.

I find that I really like Jesse Stone a lot and he has some real struggles in this series with his alcohol and break up with his wife, who of which he still loves and cherishes. I think he is developing very well throughout the story, and I like the rawness of his character and all of his flaws. I look forward to much more of him.

I would recommend this series so far to anyone who likes more of a laid back mystery. The stories are really good they just aren't adrenalin rushing action, which I love, but there is something about this one that keeps me going. Must be the characters. I look forward to the rest of this series. I am rating this book 3.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment