Wednesday, March 2, 2016

The Rose Society - Marie Lu - 4 stars

This was a great sequel to The Young Elites and I enjoyed it a lot, not sure if I like it as much as it's predecessor or not, but gave it the same rating anyway. Marie Lu is a great talent and had a great gift. I absolutely love her writing style. I also really enjoyed kind of seeing the flip side of Adelina in this story.

I will not give a synopsis on this book since it is book 2 but will give you a run down on what the story is about. So about a decade ago the 'blood fever' went on a rampage across Adelina's nation. A lot of people dies, but for those children who survived were left with strange marks on their bodies and some were believed to possess certain powers. They call them Malfetto. Adelina's Father, thinking she was malfetto, treated her badly and would rather have her dead because she was an abomination. Adelina struggles to save her own life. In this book the story moves forward with more action and excitement.

I absolutely loved the plot to this series. I found this one to be more gritty and on the darker side and I really enjoyed that. A lot of action and adventure. I found it to be very fluid and easy to read and follow. There is also a lot of great imagery in this book which keeps it pretty realistic. I just about see myself there. There were plenty of parts that left me sitting on the edge of my seat, overcome every emotion possible.

The characters are all amazing. Many to love and hate. I also liked seeing another side to Adelina, a side I was not expecting at all. You watch her grow and develop and evolve into a totally different person throughout these 2 books. At first I was not sure what I thought, but it made me realize what can happen to someone who has been left desperate, trying to survive, trying to forgive, and trying to make sense of things as they come. She is beautifully written no matter who she becomes.

I look forward to the final book in this trilogy coming this fall and then will have to buy physical copies for myself of each one. I recommend this to anyone who likes fantasy. It is definitely a treat to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment