Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Pathfinder - Orson Scott Card - DNF

I chose this book to be a part of the WHINRTB 3.0 for this month. I am thinking it could have waited even longer. I just could not get into this book at all. I was so excited to finally get to it and I just really loved the synopsis, but found that I was bored with it. I tried getting into it up until pg. 152 and it just really did not have much going for it.
Synopsis
A powerful secret. A dangerous path.
Rigg is well trained at keeping secrets. Only his father knows the truth about Rigg's strange talent for seeing the paths of people's pasts. But when his father dies, Rigg is stunned to learn just how many secrets Father had kept from him--secrets about Rigg's own past, his identity, and his destiny. And when Rigg discovers that he has the power not only to see the past, but also to change it, his future suddenly becomes anything but certain.

Rigg’s birthright sets him on a path that leaves him caught between two factions, one that wants him crowned and one that wants him dead. He will be forced to question everything he thinks he knows, choose who to trust, and push the limits of his talent…or forfeit control of his destiny.

The story really just lacked excitement, lacked adventure, and nothing really grabbed my attention. I thought that for being as far as I was into the story something big or exciting would have happened by this point. I cant see how the book can be over 600 pages, and I love big books, but this one seems like it would come up pretty short trying to stretch that far.

The characters are really just unrealistic to me. They are almost like robots with no personality at all. Also I found that things they say and do are not believable either and I just can't relate to either one of the main protagonists. They lacked the depth and emotion as well, and all those other qualities readers look for that make characters great. The story and characters were just a disappointment for me.

Since I did not finish the book, I will not put a rating to it. I really can't recommend this story to anyone, but I think people should judge for themselves. So if you wanna take a chance on it, then pick up the book and give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment