Friday, March 11, 2016

Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo - 5 stars

I chose this book for my WHINRTB 3.0 challenge since it has been one sitting on my shelves for over 2 years. It was time to get it read. I had heard from many people about how I should read it and how good it was and I would be hooked. Well, they were right about all of it. This writing is so fluid, so easy to read that I just flew through it and LOVED every minute of it.
Synopsis
Surrounded by enemies, the once-great nation of Ravka has been torn in two by the Shadow Fold, a swath of near impenetrable darkness crawling with monsters who feast on human flesh. Now its fate may rest on the shoulders of one lonely refugee.

Alina Starkov has never been good at anything. But when her regiment is attacked on the Fold and her best friend is brutally injured, Alina reveals a dormant power that saves his life—a power that could be the key to setting her war-ravaged country free. Wrenched from everything she knows, Alina is whisked away to the royal court to be trained as a member of the Grisha, the magical elite led by the mysterious Darkling.

Yet nothing in this lavish world is what it seems. With darkness looming and an entire kingdom depending on her untamed power, Alina will have to confront the secrets of the Grisha . . . and the secrets of her heart.

Wow the plot to this story is amazing. Anyone who likes fantasy will love it. I knew I would like it, I just did not realize how much I would love it. The world building is also amazing, created with such great imagery, and great scenery you can almost place yourself inside the pages. There was plenty of action, excitement and adventure. I found that I had a hard time putting the book down. This might have to be a favorite for March and I look forward to the other books in this trilogy.

The characters, so relatable. especially Alina. Who of us feel like they don't fit in? I know I do, just like Alina feels. She was made to be so realistic in her daily struggles and she becomes such a strong female protagonist because of that. I love when characters are developed like that. I know she will continue to grow as she becomes who the author intended her to become. There are a lot of great characters to look forward to in this book and future books in the trilogy. Many to love and many to hate as well.

I have to recommend this book to everyone. It is such a treat to read such a beautiful story by a very gifted writer. So glad that I finally got to this story. I know it is one I will not easily forget! If you have not yet read it, then do yourself a favor and pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment