Sunday, January 22, 2017

Fifty Shades Darker - E.L. James - 3.5 stars

This is book 2 in the Fifty Shades trilogy. I read book 1 last year and found it to be so so. The writing was not great, but I did that there was a worthy story there, so I decided to finally get to the second book.

I find that I liked the plot better in this one, yes the plot does get better and does change. This story is not just about dominate and submissive lifestyles. This is a story about learning to trust and learning to accept others and not judge others without first knowing who they are. There are also some added elements to this one such as mystery and thriller. It adds a more intense moments to the story. I did find the end of this a bit predictable but I do look forward to how it will be incorporated into the final book. I could do without all the sex in this book. It does taper off in the beginning, but then seems to get over the top as the story goes on. I also thought that the writing itself has improved some. There are still the use of some lines or words that get annoying, but it has improved.

The characters are pretty good since I like those flawed, gritty characters. I do have to say though that Christian was bordering on very annoying several times in this one, but I do realize it is part of his character and part of who he is so I deal with that. Ana also gets herself in those situation where I expect her to react one way but ends up responding in a totally different way, and not always smart choices. I would like for her to stand up for herself more than she does. I think this would make her appear a lot stronger.

I am going to give this book a 3,5 star rating. I believe that to be a half star more than I gave the first book. Just give it try before you judge the story. I do think these books are worth reading and recommend them to anyone who likes romance and to those who can look past the sexy times.

No comments:

Post a Comment