Tuesday, January 10, 2017

The Diviners - Libba Bray - 3.5 stars

I just recently got this book for Christmas. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews for it but decided to finally get this one read. I did get stuck on what to rate the book, either a 3 or a 4, so I decided to go in the middle and settled on a 3.5.

Synopsis
Evie O’Neill has been exiled from her boring old hometown and shipped off to the bustling streets of New York City—and she is pos-i-tute-ly ecstatic. It’s 1926, and New York is filled with speakeasies, Ziegfeld girls, and rakish pickpockets. The only catch is that she has to live with her uncle Will and his unhealthy obsession with the occult.

Evie worries he’ll discover her darkest secret: a supernatural power that has only brought her trouble so far. But when the police find a murdered girl branded with a cryptic symbol and Will is called to the scene, Evie realizes her gift could help catch a serial killer.

As Evie jumps headlong into a dance with a murderer, other stories unfold in the city that never sleeps. A young man named Memphis is caught between two worlds. A chorus girl named Theta is running from her past. A student named Jericho hides a shocking secret. And unknown to all, something dark and evil has awakened.

I found this plot to be quite intriguing, although I did not find quite as exciting as I expected it to be. It is pretty engaging for the most part, however there are also those parts that are rather draggy and boring. Take those parts out and add a bit more excitement and it would be a 5 star for me. I guess I just wanted it to be a little faster paced than it was, It took awhile to get to those main points and then the end seemed more rushed. Overall though, the book was entertaining and had me engaged to the story for the most part.

I did enjoy the characters, I think they were pretty well developed. I enjoyed most of them but I did find Sam to be quite annoying most of the time though. I don't really think he needed to even be a part of the story, but that is just me. I don't see that he contributed all the much. Evie was probably my favorite character, she is quite bossy and outspoken. The perfect teen right there.

I will be getting the sequel because there was plenty to the story to push me forward on it. I recommend this book to those who like Historical fantasy paranormal type stories and to have all three in one book was a pretty good mix. I think this is why I found it to be so intriguing. Such unlikely elements to be combined to make a great story. Again the rating for this book is a 3.5 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment