Monday, January 30, 2017

Fifty Shades Freed - E.L. James - 3 stars

I think that this book wrapped up the trilogy well enough, but there were still issues. The writing did improve over the course of reading the three books. I have no interest in reading Grey or the short story Meet Fifty Shades, nor will I probably ever read this trilogy again.

The one thing that annoyed me most was the over the top sex scenes. Once you read the first book and get into the second book it is not as much about the domination/submission aspects anymore, so I had hoped that the sexy times would be at a minimal. To my horror I was wrong. LOL I did find that the story was more about loyalty and trust than it was about the domination, although Christian remains controlling in other areas. I do think there is a good story here, you just have to fight through the rest of the mess to get down to the main plot of the story.

Lets just talk about these characters. Christian, who is a grown man acts more like a toddler on a power trip. It also always seemed like it was 'all about Christian' about how Christian feels, or how hurt Christian is. And it is that way because of our other character Anastasia, who lets Christian treat her anyway he wants and she submits to it and coddles Christians ego. I wanted to strangle Ana for being so weak all of the time. I wished wholeheartedly that she would be more like I am woman hear me roar, rather than oh I am meek and mild and you are right and I am wrong and I should be stroking your ego instead. ACK! She had a moment though that I think I actually stood up and cheered, but just this one moment is just not enough. I like strong characters.

The reason this one is getting the 3 stars is because there was some good thrillerish excitement in it, otherwise it would have been a 2. I found that I could tolerate the 2nd book better than this one. There was more emotional parts to this one and that was good. More parts to make you feel something besides nausea, so that was also plus for me. So all I can say is just try it if you want to. It wont make or break your reading experience just form your own opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment