Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Afraid to Die - Lisa Jackson - 5 stars

This is the fourth book in the 'to die' series. And I have to say I have loved every single book in this series so far. With each installment, the stories just get better and better. I don't think I can really choose a favorite between the ones I have read so far. They are all equally good in story telling, writing, imagery and character development.

In this installment there is another psycho serial killer, again targeting women in Grizzly Falls, again in the ice cold temperatures of Montana. This time our villain freezes the women in blocks of ice and then he carefully chisels away and creates, in his mind, a work of art. He then places them around the town in unorthodox settings where they will be sure to be discovered most often by the towns people themselves.

As I have said before I love the imagery I find in anything Jackson writes. It has such a way that I am totally engaged and immersed in the story. I feel as though I know the area as if I lived there myself, and the people who are involved are personal friends of mine. Every detail brings every aspect of the story to life.

The characters, Alvarez and Pescoli, are my favorite detectives thus far. They are so completely different from one another, and somehow they fit together perfectly. Both of these women have some very personal issues in their pasts that has left them pretty scarred while still dealing with present issues as well. I feel like this makes them far more believable and realistic. It allows the readers to be able to connect to them so much easier.

I love how the villains in these stories are brought to the readers. Believable, yet shocking at the same time. Jackson allows readers inside the heads of her villains at different times in the story. Readers get to see what makes these guys tick first hand. I like having the different perspectives that the author writes in, it makes the story more exciting for me. I also love how the author leads her readers along a path that makes it impossible not to try and figure things out. In most cases my ideas get shut down pretty quickly steering me in another direction. And I love that, I love the chase, the mystery and trying to figure it out.

If you love Mystery and have not read any Lisa Jackson, then you definitely should. I don't think you will be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment