Friday, October 17, 2014

Blue is for Nightmares - Laurie Faria Stolarz - 3.5 stars

I have had this book for awhile and finally decided to pick it up hoping that it would be a nice creepy book for the Halloween. And it really was a creepy book and I enjoyed it. This is a first time read for me with this author and after reading this book, I will continue on with the series.

In this book we have Stacie who is a practicing Wiccan. She and her friends attends a prep school. She has many nightmares each night warning her that her friend Drea is in danger and will ultimately be killed. Stacie must try to decipher these nightmares and save her friend before it is too late to do so.

This book was pretty fast paced and easy to read and understand. I liked the whole prep school mystery themed plot that this story is based on. There is also some pretty good imagery in this book that allows the readers to place themselves in the story, but also, on the same account I found it to be just a little predictable at times.

The only character I really liked was Stacie. I think she was pretty strong but then again I think she was weak at the hands of her friends wanting to do things that pleased them. I found that her friends were kind of cruel when it came to Stacie. They did not know what kind of friend they had in her and that bothered me. They would get into a funk or a disagreement and take it out on her. So I ended up not connecting to them and not even liking them. I was at a point of wishing Drea would just get killed anyway.

I feel like this book was more plot driven than character driven. I would have liked to have seen better developed characters, but with it being a first book I am hoping the author develops them more throughout the series. I am giving this book a 3.5 star rating, had I liked the characters I would have rated it higher. I still recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery or even boarding school stories. I do look forward to the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment