Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Between the Lines - Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer - 4 stars

This is the first time read for me with this Author. I have had several of her books for quite awhile and I finally decided to pick this one up. I have to say that I am so glad I did. I also thought that it was pretty amazing that this was the idea of the Author's teenage daughter. It was such a pleasure to get immersed into the pages of this beautiful fairy tale. It has actually been a long time since I have read anything remotely close to a fairy tale, so this book was indeed very refreshing and definitely very engaging.

In this story we have Delilah who is pretty much a loner. She has a father who really does not care about her and has started a new life with a new family. She is not a part of the popular crowd in school and gets picked on. She has one friend who she shares everything with. But when that is not enough she immerses herself into a fairy tale that she has read over and over. She discovers that the characters in the story are real and she falls in love with the Prince. The story goes on from there.

One thing that I thought was brilliant about this story was the perspectives. We of course have the perspectives of Prince Oliver and Delilah, but also you get the fairy tale as the fairy tale was written. So you are getting two separate stories in one book and I really liked that. I felt like I was experiencing both worlds at the same time, but without the confusion you would suspect would go along with that. It made me think that the Author should create the pseudo name Jessamyn Jacobs and write the original fairy tale as it was created for this book.

I love the characters in this story. I think they were well created and thought out. I think they are very easy to connect to. None of them have perfect lives, in fact I feel like they wanted to live different lives. Even though Oliver is a character in Delilah's favorite fairy tale, he still appears to be very real and believable. I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book they were a joy to get to know and love.

I recommend this book to anyone who loves Jodi Picoult, or even loves a good fairy tale. I dont think it could really disappoint anyone. I am rating this book a solid 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment