Monday, October 27, 2014

Trauma - Graham Masterton - 3 stars

This book was nothing like I thought it would be and that was a little disappointing. I was expecting a good, chilling, paranormal horror story as he usually writes, but it was more a mystery with a small paranormal element. The book was still pretty good and still engaging. I also found that it was very fluid and easy to read.

In this story we have Bonnie Winter who cleans up the crime scenes once they have been searched and evidence has been collected. She has all the best cleaning agents to make a scene seem almost normal again. Bonnie starts to find things becoming a bit odd among some of these horrific, chilling scenes, something is amiss when she starts to discover black caterpillars on the scene and she tries to figure things out.

When I read the synopsis of the story it seemed like a really good premise but I felt it was a some what predictable. I thought though that it would still be ok as long as it was a good solid paranormal horror. It wasn't exactly what I had expected it to be and I think it could have been so much more than it was. It was not boring by any means but it lacked depth and excitement.

I did not like the characters very much in this story at all, including Bonnie. I found that they could have been developed so much better than they were. It was hard to connect to any of them. Bonnie went through a lot with her job, and then also on the home front with her husband Duke and son, Ray. It seemed like nobody really cared about that and it was about what Bonnie could do for them, and then Bonnie would just go along and say everything was just fine. She was weak natured lot of the time and then other times she wasn't. I got mixed vibes where she was concerned, she just did not seem to be very solid.

I am still going to give this book a 3 star because it as actually a quick fun read that anyone who likes paranormal, mysteries or even urban legends could still probably enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment