Friday, October 3, 2014

Code Zero - Jonathan Maberry - 5 stars

I waited a couple of months to read this installment of the Joe Ledger series. I find that if I wait I don't forget much of the previous book because they are way too memorable for that. So I finally decided to get cracking on book 6 as a buddy read with a couple of friends. I have to say, it was definitely time to read it. This one is by far my favorite of the bunch. And if I could rate it 10 stars I would.

This one is a sequel to Patient zero, you got it, the zombies are back. The team has to shut them down, and their leader. She calls herself Mother Night. She is one heck of a Super Villain. She wreaks havoc all over the world spreading bio warfare everywhere she goes along with her small group of followers like she is having a party and she invited the whole world.

This book was packed with heart stopping action and excitement at the turn of every page. I was totally immersed in this story. The imagery, plot, ideas, and characters were all amazing. I loved how Maberry wrote Mother Night in all her glory and viciousness. I also found myself figuring things out and then going back and doubting my previous ideas. Maberry knows how to keep his readers on their toes, not to mention the edge of their seats.

The characters of course are my favorite part of this series. They are developed beautifully, none are created as perfect individuals. All of them are flawed with their own demons which in turn pushes them to keep on fighting for the greater good. My favorite of course is Joe, and through this series I just love him more and more. One of things I like the best about Joe and his team is that no matter the subject they always puts in 100% towards everything, their job, their friends, the team and the task at hand. And with each effort the scars get bigger and bigger and I find that it make him and the team more realistic and believable.

I can't recommend this book enough, this whole series. I think everyone should read it because there is something for everyone to enjoy. Trust me when I say I don't like books on politics, or terrorism, or war, but if Maberry can write something like this in a way that can make me enjoy reading about all of it, then he has something great going on.

Don't battle with Monsters, lest you become a monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment