Sunday, December 28, 2014

Pick 5 Reading Challenge with Shannon (LeaningLights)

For 2015, Shannon over at LeaningLights, and myself decided to challenge one another  with reading 5 books for the year that fall outside of our comfort Zone, why? Because it is always good to broaden our horizon's and expand our literary goals. So we decided this would be a really fun challenge. I chose for Shannon some of my favorite books of 2014.

What you must first understand is that Shannon and I read very different genres much of the time. I read more Adult books in the genre of Horror and Mystery, my 2 favorites. Don't get me wrong though, I can enjoy a good YA as well. Shannon reads more YA than I do, but she also reads a little Adult as well. So this will be a super fun way to challenge ourselves. Here is the list I pick for Shannon. And maybe this whole thing will also get y'all to learn more about Shannon who just happens to be a great booktuber as well. You need to
click right here and go visit her channel. She is such a pleasure to watch. She also has a great weebly blog that you can follow here. Ok so lets get on with the show. Here are my picks for Shannon.

5. Dolores Claiborne - Stephen King
Let me first say that I could not make this list for Shannon and leave out Stephen King. However, this is not a horror book as I first thought it would be coming from Stephen King. It is, in a way, a mix of historical fiction and mystery. I loved that and I have to say that it was very engaging, very fluid and easy to read. King tells a very powerful tale with this book. Dolores is a character that you will not soon forget and I think Shannon will feel the same way once she meets her. I look forward to hearing what Shannon thinks of the story telling of Stephen King since he is my favorite Author.

4. Alice in Zombieland - Gena Showalter
This is the only YA that I chose for Shannon. I think I talk about this series as much as I do The Joe Ledger series. I just really enjoyed this series a lot. The Author uses a lot of different elements in this story which makes it relatable to a large audience I think. It has such a unique cast of amazing characters and the writing style is fluid and easy to read and follow. A great story with a different twist on Zombies that is very welcoming. I think Shannon can really indulge and enjoy this trilogy. I myself am ready for the last book.

3. Before I Go to Sleep - S.J. Watson

I have to say for a Debut novel this one was fantastic, very engaging and a little crazy at times as well. I was completely immersed in the story from beginning to end. This is an adult novel bordering on contemporary/mystery. It was almost like 50 First dates only it was more serious and complex. It had captured my attention right from the very first sentence. The bedroom is strange. Unfamiliar. I don't know where I am, how I came to be here. I don't know how I am going to get home. That was enough for me to continue the book. This one is chock full of one of my favorite elements, Mystery. It is a great story that is full of amazing twists that readers never see coming. I think this will give Shannon a good taste of some solid mystery with enough thriller to keep her entertained.

2. Left to Die - Lisa Jackson

Lisa Jackson is one of my favorite female mystery writers and she is a real treat to read. Since I love her style so much I wanted to introduce her talent to Shannon and maybe become a fan herself. One thing that Lisa Jackson does so well is engaging her readers with great imagery as she sets the scene. Once readers become engaged and are immersed into the story the ride never ends from the first page to the last. They are always so full of thrills and chills you can't help but to keep turning the pages. This is book one to a 6 book series right now. Books 1 and 2 are the must reads in this series because they go together, the case carries over, but I will leave that decision to Shannon. If she likes this first one, which I think she will, then she can choose to move onto  Chosen to Die.

1. Patient Zero - Jonathan Maberry

Now I know what you must be thinking. You must be getting tired of hearing me ramble on about this series, and that series being The Joe Ledger series. I just can't help myself. I really can't and Jonathan Maberry is the one that made me this way. Can I say it again? I LOVE JOE! I love his character, his personality, his flaws, everything. I love the Echo Team. It was almost instantaneous love for me. And can I also say again, for someone to be able to write a book on terrorism and make me like it, they are someone special. Jonathan Maberry is that person, he is now up there with Stephen King, and THAT is saying a lot. There are so many elements in this book series that it is near impossible for someone to NOT like it. I just had to get Shannon started on her journey with Joe and the Echo team. And poetic, Oh my goodness Maberry is poetic. So many things in this series to like and I am not embarrassed to say every one of these books I have read so far, 5 star ratings. Yep! So now I want Shannon to experience this and I am hopeful that she too will enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment