Saturday, December 10, 2016

Beyond Reach - Karin Slaughter - 5 stars

This is the 6th and final book in the Grant County series. Although it reads like it could have another to the series and somehow I wished that there was another. I tired to prepare myself for this one since I was spoiled by reading the Will Trent series first, but I never quite got prepared enough.Synopsis
Sara Linton--resident medical examiner/pediatrician in Grant County, Georgia, --has plenty of hardship to deal with, including defending herself in a heartbreaking malpractice suit. So when her husband, Police chief Jeffery Tolliver, learns that his friend and coworker detective Lena Adams has been arrested for murder and needs Sara's help, she is not sure she can handle the pressure of it all.

But soon Sara and Jeffery are sitting through evidence, peeling back the layers of a mystery that grows darker by the day--until an intricate web of betrayal and vengeance begins to unravel. And suddenly the lives of Sara, Lena, and Jeffery are hanging by the slenderest of threads.

Wow this was a great ending to this series, although I felt like, after finishing, that something was missing, (oh yes that would be my heart once it was wrenched from my body.) it felt like there should be something more. This could actually be because I can't seem to get enough of Karin Slaughter's writing. This is the favorite of the series for me, there is so much action and excitement that it kept me on the edge of my seat, turning page after page till well past my bedtime. It was just so engaging, there is so much mystery to solve in this one. However I did figure out one of the bad guys. There are some really good twists in this one that I did not expect at all.

The characters, again, are amazing. They continue to grow right into the Will Trent series. They are flawed and gritty, which makes them very realistic and believable and they are probably the biggest reason why I love the series so much. In my opinion, Jeffrey has to grow on the reader. When you learn who is he then he is more likable. Lena, even through all of her mistakes, is one of my favorite characters, she is very strong presence in this series and also very relatable for me. Sara is another favorite for me, she is a strong female protagonist who has a big heart, but don't let her fool you.

I recommend this series, and this author to anyone who loves mystery/thrillers. This is one of my top rated series. It is so worth the read. Karin Slaughter is very gifted and one of the things I like the most about her, is her growth as a writer, it is so obvious. I will read everything she writes now and in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment