Monday, December 19, 2016

Split Image - Robert B. Parker - 4 stars

This is book #9 in the Jesse Stone series. I have just really enjoyed this series a lot and I knew this one would be just as good. I look forward to the rest of the books in this series as well. I am saddened to learn of Parker's death in 2010, and this book was the last one written solely by him.
Synopsis
The body in the trunk was just the beginning.

Turns out the stiff was a foot soldier for local tough guy Reggie Galen, now enjoying a comfortable "retirement" with his beauti­ful wife, Rebecca, in the nicest part of Paradise. Living next door are Knocko Moynihan and his wife, Robbie, who also happens to be Rebecca's twin. But what initially appears to be a low-level mob hit takes on new meaning when a high-ranking crime figure is found dead on Paradise Beach.

Stressed by the case, his failed relationship with his ex-wife, and his ongoing battle with the bottle, Jesse needs something to keep him from spinning out of control. When private investigator Sunny Randall comes into town on a case, she asks for Jesse's help. As their professional and personal relationships become intertwined, both Jesse and Sunny realize that they have much in common with both their victims and their suspects-and with each other.

This plot was not one of my favorites because it was along the lines of 'mobbish', and those really are not my style of books, but Jesse Stone is Jesse Stone and that always makes the books very worthwhile to read. Even though I do not care for this type of story it still flowed very well due to the author's amazing skill when it comes to dialogue. No matter what type of plot I am reading, he always gets me to try and solve the mystery right down to the last bit of the story.

The characters are so well developed that I feel as though I know them all personally. Among my favorites for this series is of course Jesse Stone, but also Molly, Sunny and Suitcase. All very fun characters. I even enjoyed some of the outside characters that were brought into the story, characters like Nicholas Ognowski, one of our mobsters. The author made him very realistic, believable, and yes even likable.

I recommend this series to everyone who likes crime/mystery stories. Parker was a very talented writer. I can't wait to read the next book in the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment