Thursday, December 22, 2016

Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues - Michael Brandman - 4 stars

This is book 10 in the Jesse Stone series. I was a little apprehensive about reading this one since Parker passed in 2010 and the last book Parker wrote was book 9 Split Image. I found this one to stay pretty true to Parker's writing style. Well Done Michael Brandman.
Synopsis
The Jesse Stone stories continue even after Robert B. Parker’s passing with Killing the Blues.  In this novel, Jesse Stone is faced with what begins as a rash of stolen cars and escalates into arson and murder as Stone uncovers how deep this crime wave really goes.  All the while, Paradise, Massachusetts is preparing for summer tourism with the help of event planner Alexis Richardson, and she and Stone become involved in a steamy affair.

I did not bother even reading the synopsis to this book since I love the Jesse Stone series so much. I was happy to see that Brandman kept very close to Parker's writing style. I did find though that he made Jesse Stone a bit more aggressive in his work and I really quite liked that side of Jesse. There was a lot of stuff going on in this book. Jesse was more active and out in the field along with the crew. I think that was a good change to his character. He still has his issues, he is still sarcastic and witty, but now he goes out and gets his hands dirty a lot more than in previous books. Keep them coming like that.

Y'all know how I feel about the characters in this book. I love them. There is Jesse, Molly, and Suitcase. Those 3 are my favorites. I feel like I could be friends with them, like they really do exist in real life. They are all very relatable, and very believable. One of the reasons I like them as much as I do is because they all stand pretty firm on their beliefs of the way things should be. No one get to have the better of any of them, they are smart and witty and just very likable characters.

Again I recommend this complete series to anyone who loves mystery. And there really is no reason to worry about the later books that were written by ghost writers, those books too, are written in true Parker style.

No comments:

Post a Comment