Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Miserable Mill - Lemony Snicket - 4 stars

This is book #4 in the Series of Unfortunate Events. I have been enjoying this story quite a lot. They are quick fast paced reads.
Synopsis
Dear Reader,

I hope, for your sake, that you have not chosen to read this book because you are in the mood for a pleasant experience. If this is the case, I advise you to put this book down instantaneously, because of all the books describing the unhappy lives of the Baudelaire orphans, The Miserable Mill might be the unhappiest yet. Violet, Klaus, and Sunny Baudelaire are sent to Paltryville to work in a lumber mill, and they find disaster and misfortune lurking behind every log.

The pages of this book, I'm sorry to inform you, contain such unpleasantries as a giant pincher machine, a bad casserole, a man with a cloud of smoke where his head should be, a hypnotist, a terrible accident resulting in injury, and coupons.

I have promised to write down the entire history of these three poor children, but you haven't, so if you prefer stories that are more heartwarming, please feel free to make another selection.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

These books are quite fun to read and they go very quickly. I am always completely engaged with the story from start to finish and these are easily one day reads. As I have said before though, some of these are a little dark for middle grade readers I think. They are quite interesting, but sometimes they can get a little annoying due to all the misfortune that is involved in the story. But you do get that little snippet of relief at the end of each story simply because the orphans are still alive.

I love the characters in the story, well the orphans anyway. I don't like Mr. Poe all that much because sometimes he seems to be a bit too disagreeable for my tastes. The author makes him appear to be a little on the dim witted side and that is somewhat bothersome as well. It seems the orphans have to work extra hard to convey their feelings about things or convince Poe that something is wrong.

If you like to have fun quick reads than I recommend this series. There is always something happening to keep you and the orphans on their toes. They are really very worth the read!

No comments:

Post a Comment