Thursday, March 9, 2017

Go Ask Alice - Beatrice Sparks - 3 stars

This book has been around for a very long time and I am just now reading it. WHAT?! This book has also been censored/banned do the explicit nature of sex and drug addiction.

I found this book on the sales rack and decided that now would be the time. This is set back in the 70's when drug were predominant in society. Despite what has been said about this book, it is however, not a true story. It was not based on the diary of a 15 year old girl. So reading it as a fiction book, it is entertaining. I enjoyed reading it because it was pretty fast paced which really kept the pages turning for me. If you read this as a 'true account' of a young teenage girl then that changes things dramatically, because the story itself is not very realistic.

Our main character in this story, who is never named, is also not a very realistic character, however I did find her likable. She did not annoy me or irritate me, but her outlook on life was a little on the nonrealistic side. She goes through a lot in the story, and seems to learn a little from it at one point and then on the other side she doesn't learn from it. So it is like she does actually learn things from the mistakes, but has the attitude of 'oh well we will still make these mistakes anyway because it is more fun while I am doing it' therefore disregarding the consequences of the actions.

So don't pick this book up and read it with the idea that this a true story because I don't feel like you will really enjoy it that way. Look at it as a piece of fiction and read away. It can be better appreciated that way.

1 comment: