Thursday, March 30, 2017

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote - 1 star

I chose this book to cover one of the challenges in the 52 book challenge that I am participating in. (Reread a book that you once read in school.) I read this book back in my senior year of high school and could not remember anything about it, now I can see why. This book has horrible pacing, overly descriptive narrative and no real anticipation at all. It also lacks one thing that I love in books, dialogue. There is next to no dialogue in this book. Therefore I did not find the book exciting at all, and it really threw the flow off, not to mention how it bounced around all over the place, so I found it hard to follow as well.

I have to say though that there was one thing good to say about this book, this book is not a tome,(thank Goodness!) because I am sure that I would never have finished it, I would have DNFed after the first 50 pages. Maybe I have just discovered that true crime is not for me? Makes me wonder if all true crime is like that. Maybe I will just stick to my normal mysteries/thrillers.

Now for our characters. I hated them, easily said enough, I guess though, that is a good thing in a book like this, in a true crime novel, when we are talking about two men who are vile, filthy, scumbags who really felt no remorse and seemed to think everything was a big joke. There was some pretty good backstory written about our antagonists I must say, I appreciated that, I got to know who they were, but it was not quite enough for me to change my mind about the rest of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment