Sunday, March 19, 2017

The Ersatz Elevator - Lemony Snickett - 4 stars

This is book 6 to The Series of Unfortunate Events. One of things I like best about these books is the pacing. They are so fluid and there is also never a dull moment with these orphans. Readers get whisked away on some pretty unfortunate adventures. I do still get somewhat annoyed at the amount of misfortune that these kiddos endure, but I am getting used to the fact that is what is going to happen, and there is no changing it. I was told by my niece that her teacher told them, when she was in the 4th grade, that they should not read this series because it caused her own daughter to become depressed. I know the series is pretty dark, but I never thought it was so dark as to cause depression in someone. Then again people handle things differently so I guess it is a possibility.

I fell in love with these characters (the orphans), pretty much right from the start of the first book. It is as though they are my own kids even though they have some pretty unrealistic talents. They are still very fun characters. Count Olaf is a great example of those characters we all love to hate. He is evil, underhanded, and pretty callous. I still hand onto the possibility of him reaching his demise in this series and I am hopeful that the author will not let me down on that. Our caregivers to the orphans this time were a bit suspicious. I did not like Mrs. Squallor at all. She was quite eccentric as well, and not at all equipped to be a guardian.

I recommend this to anyone, but if you have young children, then maybe hold off for a few years before allowing them to read this, it is closer to YA than it is middle grade. Like I said it is a pretty dark series and younger readers may not understand some parts to these books. If you are an adult, however, read read read. I think you may enjoy it. Really looking forward to continuing with this series and finishing up this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment