Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Prodigy - Marie Lu - 4.5 stars

This is the 2nd installment to the Legend series. I was not sure what I was gonna think of this one with, since even though Legend was good it still started out slow. I was hoping it would be bit faster paced. And I was happy to see that it did start much better than the first one. I do feel it is more political than I like stories to be. Even so, I find Marie Lu a very talented writer with very good plot lines and well developed characters.

In this installment we start out after Day and June had escaped Los Angeles and the Republic. June has become a republic traitor and Day is thought to be dead. They have no choice but to go to the patriots for help. The only thing is the Patriots are obsessed with taking down the Republic. Will June and Day join their mission?

I really enjoyed the plot line much more in this book. It was much faster paced and seemed to have a bit more excitement and adventure in it than the first one. This one also has some awesome imagery and some great plot twists as well. I found the plot to have much more depth as the author takes readers down into the nitty gritty of the republic.

The characters are developed pretty well, but I still have some issues with them. They are not very believable as far as their ages go. What I mean is we have 13-18 here and they act 25-30 really. I think that the Author should have made them a bit older than she did, so that they could have been more relatable. Also the relationship between Day and June was really very annoying to me. It seemed like Day was the important one and June was constantly groveling at his feet. I would have liked June to be a bit stronger willed than she is and there can be more of a balance between them. I also found Tess to be annoying as well. I guess maybe that shows her age more so it could be a good thing. Why does the author have this 13 year old swooning over Day? The ending of this book ripped my heart out and at the same time, more frustration seeped in.

Because I really enjoyed the plotline in this book as much as I did I am rating this a 4.5. I do look forward to the next book in the series, Champion. I recommend this book to anyone who likes political Dystopian, YA.

No comments:

Post a Comment