Friday, February 20, 2015

The 9th Girl - Tami Hoag - 5 stars

I am not sure if this is the final book to the Kovak and Liska series or not. It ended on a note that could be taken as a last installment. I was quite satisfied with this last book and I was kind of sad to be leaving the Kovak and Liska world. This was probably my favorite of the four.

In this book Doc Holiday once again rears his ugly head when a teenage girl falls from a trunk of a dark sedan on the highway. Once they identify the girl they must figure out if Doc Holiday is back to his old gruesome habits or could there be some other perp on his playing field?

Tami Hoag always has great plot lines to her stories. They are always engaging, realistic, and easy to follow. This one is no different. Already you have a sense of impending doom set in the cold sub zero temps in Minnesota in the middle of a dreary winter, while a madman runs loose killing innocent women. And then you have that extra air of mystery when something doesn't quite feel right, doesn't quite click like you would expect. I loved that, I love books that have a lot of mystery to it. I like how Hoag leads you down one path only to find out it was not the right one.

The characters, what can I say about them. I love Kovak and Liska simply because they are real. They are developed so well, with so much depth. They are realistic, believable, flawed, they have their own issues, but they get the job done. I love how they stand up to witnesses and suspects and they let them know what they think about them or the circumstances. I love how they can relate to the victims and feel something and be emotional over it. They are truly among the best characters I have read in Mystery.

I recommend this series to any mystery lovers out there, but I tell you to please start with book 1, Ashes to Ashes, and read them in order so you get the full feel of the detectives, of the whole team. Tami Hoag is always a pleasure to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment