Friday, February 13, 2015

The Maze Runner - James Dashner - 4.5 stars

I did cheat and watch the movie before I read this book. I was impatient to get to it before I was able to get the book. There were many differences in the book than what was portrayed in the movie. Some parts I liked better in the movie but most of it I enjoyed the book more.

Thomas wakes on the floor of a lift he finds himself surrounded by many boys. The boys are trapped in what they call the glades with no memory of who they really are or how they even got there. Each person has their own jobs to do in order to survive. They are surround by stone walls that assumes the form of a maze. Thomas is sure that this maze is the way out but many obstacles are in the way of finding that escape.

I really enjoyed the plot to this story I found it to be very engaging and there was so much more to the book that really made the Glades and everything in it come to life. It has an awesome post apocalyptic feeling, with great imagery that makes you feel a part of the story, especially with the Maze itself and what Thomas and Minho had to go through while they were there. A lot of edge of your seat moments. There were some decisions that were being made that I could not understand or even agree with, so that was a little annoying to me.

I thought that the characters were really well developed. I liked all of them and how they worked together for the good of the glades. It did frustrate myself with picking out the differences in the characters from movie to book. I already had their images in my head and some of those in the book did not match the images I already had in my head from the movie. (Note to self: Always read book first). I really liked Thomas, Minho, Newt and Chuck the most, they fit really well into the story. I also liked Gally's character much better in the book, he was more like the villain the author was trying to portray I think. Overall the characters were well written.

I look forward to the rest of this series and where the author takes our characters next. I recommend this book to anyone who likes YA post apocalyptic stories. It is a great read. Giving this one 4.5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment