Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Revival - Stephen King - 4 stars

When I read a King book I don't have any expectations on what it will be, whether it be horror, thriller or otherwise, because I know that he is the most diverse writer I have ever read. I only expect his books to be written brilliantly in true King style, and that is what we get with this book. Stephen King will always be my favorite author and reading books like this is the reason why.

In this book we have Jamie who is 6 years old and lives in a small New England town. He meets Reverend Charlie Jacobs who then becomes the reverend of the town's church. The reverend and his family seem to fit in perfectly. Everyone loves them until tragedy strikes. This book is an account of Jamie's life, what he goes through, what he is witness to and what he ends up believing in.

I loved the plotline of this story and how King gives nothing away in the synopsis of the story. I did not at first expect where this story was going to go. I expected the Reverend to be angry at God for this tragedy that strikes his family and friends, but I did not expect his mode of dealing with it. I also loved some of the nostalgia I felt when I first started the book being set back in the 1960's and could associate with the town descriptions and the lives of these residents. I thought it was fantastic and brilliantly written. It was very engaging and really hard to put down.

The characters were once again developed beautifully. I loved the fact that readers grow with them and learn about them as the story progresses. There is a wide array of characters to love in this story, and again they are quite unforgettable. I have to say I loved Jamie the most, I loved watching him grow and evolve throughout the story. I loved his flaws and his strengths. He was very easy to connect to and was a very believable character. Reverend Jacobs I was on the fence about for quite awhile until I reached a little over half way through the book. I know a lot of people will have a lot of different ideas about him and what he believes in and what he stands for.

I recommend this book to ALL King fans because this is a book that should be read. Don't go into this story expecting what genre of book it will be, just go into and enjoy every word, and every page because it is totally worth it.

...something....something happened...something happened...

No comments:

Post a Comment